The fresh water sources are carefully managed to protect their long-term health.
- Our river-water collection areas are in mountainous land upstream of human settlement. Public access to them is limited, so the possibility of contamination from human sources is very low.
- We monitor animal numbers closely in the water collection areas and undertake pest animal control when needed. River water will naturally have some contamination from dirt, decaying vegetation and animal waste. Microbiological contamination - such as cryptosporidium and giardia - from animals has the potential to cause serious illnesses in people.
- We monitor the levels of a variety of naturally occuring chemical elements in our water to ensure that it will be safe to drink. River and aquifer water also absorbs chemical elements from the land that it flows over and through. Some of these elements can be harmful to humans if consumed at high levels.
Find out about:
- Quality of ground water in our region.
- Whaitua committees - these are groups of local people working together to safeguard your local fresh water now and for the future.
Get in touch