Certain activities in the parks and forests require written permission. If activities were not managed, these actions could adversely affect natural or cultural resources, or they could lead to conflicts between park users. Operating a system of permits is an effective method of managing resources and minimizing potential conflicts.

Activities that require a permit vary from park to park and can include:

  • Camping
  • Hunting of introduced animals
  • Trail biking (motorbikes and quad bikes)
  • Research, including collecting material

Permits are usually issued unless the area or resource is already fully booked or allocated. 

Find out more

If you did not find what you were searching for on this page and would like to ask any further questions please contact or by calling 0800 496 734.

For information about Restricted activities in parks check Toitū Te Whenua Parks Network Plan and contact

Permit applications

The following activities require a permit. If your intended activity is not shown below, please contact the relevant park ranger in the first instance. More information is available on fees and conditions for managed (permitted) and non-commercial activities on the Concessions page. We will forward your permit or contact you to discuss your application within five working days.

NOTE: You will need to submit a Low Impact Permit application (PDF 147 KB) or a High Impact Permit application (PDF 153 KB) . Generally a Low Impact Permit will be sufficient. 

Akatarawa Forest

Battle Hill Forest

Belmont Regional Park

East Harbour Regional Park

Hutt River Trail

Hutt Water Collection Area

Kaitoke Regional Park

Pākuratahi Forest

Queen Elizabeth Park

Updated July 28, 2023 at 11:04 AM

Get in touch

0800 496 734