As part of the Proposed Natural Resources Plan for our region, we’ve identified and mapped the ancient and precious fossil forest in Titahi Bay.
There are rules to protect this taonga from vehicles:
- No vehicles are permitted in the centre of the beach (“Area A” as shown on the map below).
- Driving is not permitted on the beach unless you are:
- Launching a boat - this is allowed in front of the boatsheds only.
- Accessing boatsheds - only by avoiding the fossil area and driving directly to the boatsheds.
- Keep off exposed fossil tree stumps at all times
Please report damage to the coastal area by contacting our Environment Hotline on 0800 296 734, and contact the police if you have safety concerns.
Get in touch
- 0800 496 734