It's Not Too Late to Get Kids Moving in March
Students from Wellington area schools still have time to sign up for Movin'March, a celebration to encourage students and parents to get active on the way to school without travelling in a car.
Movin'March has attracted students from over 65 schools and is a month long (1-31 March) celebration of active travel organised by the Greater Wellington Regional Council.
In 2016 14,000 Wellington area students took part in Movin'March. In 2017 the aim is to attract 20,000 students.
During the month students will have the opportunity to take part in a wide range of activities to encourage active travel. During Movin'March activities will include:
- A passport challenge where students are encouraged to get their passport stamped for a chance to win a brand new bike and helmet
- A family day on 31 March where families are encouraged to trial new ways to walk or wheel to school.
- Parents participating in Movin'March are invited to snap a photo of their kids walking or wheeling to and from school. All entries will go in to win a family pass to Wellington Wild Things destinations.
- A colouring-in competition to be judged by Ali Teo the creator of Jack the Kaka.
- Eight new lesson plans that work across all curriculum areas to create a Movin'March unit.
The decision to allow children to walk or bike to school can be a daunting decision but the benefits of increased physical and mental well-being are worthwhile. Research shows walking and biking to school improves physical fitness and helps develop confidence, independence, decision making and risk assessment skills, improve communication with parents and build a stronger sense of community.
This is what participants in last year's Movin'March had to say about the programme:
- I like to scooter and it's fun and it's quite fast.
Max, aged 10 yrs
- It's a good way to get your fitness up.
Juanita, aged 10 yrs
- I get to school on time.
Cyprus, aged 10 yrs
- I love biking and I feel really free when I bike.
Stephanie, aged 9 yrs
For more information about how to enrol in Movin'March please see movinmarch.com
Get in touch
- 0800 496 734