During operational hours from 4am to 5pm (Monday to Friday) Plantation Forests are closed for recreational use.
Forestry operational work sites are off limits for recreational use at all times. Please adhere to signage and use caution.
While we are at Orange, motorised recreation has resumed. Adhere to social distancing, hand hygiene, gatherings of no more than 100 people. 4WD trips to use contact tracing of all participants on trips. If unwell stay home.
Transpower contractors will be operating in Puketiro.
Northpower pylon refurbishment will resume along Hydro Valley and Hydro road.
Active logging areas remain off limits to all recreation. Adhere to signage.
Clearys Road from Wainui stream to Cooks Ridge junction is closed to all vehicles.
- Any incidents resulting in fire or potential for fire are to be reported immediately call 111
- Rock Garden experienced 4WD drivers only due to difficult terrain
- Caution is required when driving on all the forests roads. Hazards may include fallen trees, washouts debris and slips.
- Speed Limit on Forest Roads 30km/h
- Devils Staircase/Rock Garden route difficult terrain experienced trail/quad riders only
- Extra care needed when using all ford crossing
Akatarawa weekly calendar
|Saturday 15 - Sunday 16 January 2022|
|CCVC||Phil Green||10 x 4WD||Club Trip||Totara park, Bulls run road, cooks rd, puketiro rd, blowfly rd, hydro rd, toi toi rd, hydro Valley rd, fenceline, whakatikei rd, prams track, 3rd Crossing, mcghies,
valley view, Lindsay's rd, airstrip drive, woodshed rd
|CCVC||Frank Allan||10 x 4WD||Club Trip||Puketiro, Blowfly , Puketiro, Clearys, Toi Toi, Hydro, Orange Hut, Hydro Valley, Fenceline, Titi, Whakatikei Road, Pram Track, 3rd Crossing, McGhies, Woolshed, Airstrip, Valley View, Lindsays, Clark's Creek, Valley View Road|
|CCVC||Ken Douglas||10 x 4WD||Club Trip||Puketiro, Blowfly , Puketiro, Clearys, Toi Toi, Hydro, Orange Hut, Hydro Valley, Fenceline, Titi, Whakatikei Road, Pram Track, 3rd Crossing, McGhies, Woolshed, Airstrip, Valley View, Lindsays, Clark's Creek, Valley View Road|
|Kapiti Family 4WD Club||Jeff Whitehead||10 x 4WD||Club Trip||Perhams, titi, whakatiki, pram track, mcgies, hukinga, valley view, airstrip, rallywoods, pukitero, cooks ridge, clearys, toi toi, rimu, hydro, norms, thr ruts, the pines, twin gates, fenceline|
Metro Plantation Forestry Akatarawa
There are to be no fires lit and no cigarette smoking within the exotic estate. Any fires need to be reported to the Forest360 forest manager immediately after calling 111.
- Please note the radio frequency in this forest. All users must have FOMS1 for communicating
- Contractor doing track work on Draper Flats
- SRG Global will be undertaking works on the pylons in Puketiro forest over the next month
Valley View Forest
- Please note the radio frequency change in this forest. All users must now have FOMS1 for communicating.
- Thinning operations are underway in Long Spur and Beech Spur areas.
- Road closures will be in place throughout this area over the coming weeks
- Logging operations are ongoing in Lindsays block at Spring Road. Obey operational signage. Logging trucks carting via Lindsays Road to Totara Park.
- Logging operations have ceased in Cruiser Drive, but not all wood has been loaded out. High log stacks are still present. Post harvest work still to be completed.
- Radio communication on these roads at all times.
Akatarawa Forest Block
- Greater Wellington Regional Council Rangers will be on duty throughout the Forest.
- Whakatikei wetland closed to all motorised recreation users.
Due to increased fuel loading there is a heightened fire risk in these areas as the weather dries out:
- Valley view: Long spur and Beach spur road (off valley view road)
- Puketiro: Dicks yard road and number 9 road
For your safety and the safety of others we request that:
- Motorised access to these areas is carried out in the morning or on/following wet days.
- You do not stop your vehicle in these areas and carry a fire extinguisher with you.
KNE feral ungulate hunting schedule
- 18 February - 31 March 2022
- Maungakotukutuku Forest Goat control planned, near adjoining KCDC land
Get in touch