We welcome opportunities to sponsor events and projects that celebrate the diversity of our region, help us connect with our communities, and highlight the important work we do.
How to apply
If you’d like us to sponsor your event or project, a representative of your organisation will need to complete an online application. You’ll need to create an account before applying.
Remember to save your progress to ensure you don’t lose any of your work.
If you’re unable to use the online portal, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you apply:
The following information will help you with your application.
- Core Business: your event or project should be linked in some way to our core business – who we are, what we do. Check out this info on our role and activities.
- Sponsorship Criteria: we’ll only approve projects that align with our Long Term Plan strategic priorities. These include:
Improving outcomes for mana whenua and Māori
We are strengthening our commitment to working closely with mana whenua to achieve the best outcomes for Māori and the region, across everything we do.
Responding to the climate emergency
Urgent action is needed now, and we have set a big, bold target to be carbon neutral by 2030 and climate positive by 2035.
Adapting and responding to the impacts of COVID-19
We plan to lead the way in supporting our region through the COVID-19 recovery, transitioning along the way to a sustainable, low carbon economy.
Aligning with Government direction
The Government is setting some big environmental goals. Some are still evolving, and several align with what we are doing already. We plan to be in the best position to respond well.
Region: your project must be taking place within our geographical region, and have a direct benefit to our communities. If your organisation operates outside of our region you may only apply if the event/project is aimed at our region. Our region covers:
- Kāpiti Coast
- Te Awa Kairangi/Lower Hutt
- Te Awa Kairangi ki Uta/Upper Hutt
- Pōneke/Wellington City
Your application should include:
- A summary of your project.
- How your event/project links to our core business.
- How the opportunity will help Greater Wellington increase brand awareness and connect with our communities.
- A comprehensive list of benefits.
- Expected media coverage.
- How you will measure the success of your event or project.
- Information on your sustainability practices.
- Your marketing and communications plan (if you have one).
Who can apply: Organisations that may apply include:
- Registered charities.
- Incorporated societies.
- Community/special interest groups.
- Education institutions (ECE’s, schools, tertiary providers).
- New Zealand registered businesses.
Who can’t apply: we will not accept sponsorship applications for the following categories:
- Faith-based activities.
- Raffles and spot prizes.
- Charitable fundraisers or donations to individuals or groups.
- Requests that benefit an individual person or family/whānau.
- Political candidates or organisations.
- Retrospective applications (projects which have already been completed or costs committed before you have been informed of your funding decision).
- Domestic or overseas travel.
- Professional/high-performance sports or arts activities.
- Land purchase.
How long it will take: sponsorship requests must have a lead time of no less than three months. We’ll get back to you within 4 weeks. If your application is missing information, we will give you chance to provide the information, however if you are unable to provide the missing information in a timely manner, your application will be withdrawn.
If your request is approved
We’ll send you a confirmation letter and a Sponsorship Agreement, which outlines the terms and conditions of the sponsorship. This must be signed by your organisation and returned to us. Payments will be made on the 20th of each month.
Within three months of your project being completed, you’ll need to send us a report on how it went. If you do not submit a report, you’ll be asked to return the sponsorship payment.
Get in touch
- 0800 496 734