Which rule controls the activity?

There are three ways to use this user guide to find the relevant rule or regulation:

  • You can search by specific activity (e.g. sewage treatment and disposal).
  • If you know the rule that applies to your activity, or the regional plan that it is in you can look up the relevant plan.
  • If you are not sure which regional plan or set of regulations to look in, and your specific activity is not listed, you can search by broad categories of activities sorted according to the restrictions in sections 9 to 15 of the Resource Management Act 1991.

Still unsure? Contact our the Environmental Help Desk at 04 830 4255.

Why activities are controlled

Activities that can affect the environment are controlled in the Resource Management Act 1991. The Act allows some sorts of activities and prohibits others. But regional plans can restrict something that the Act allows and can allow something that the Act restricts. This is done by adopting regional rules.

Regional rules in regional plans classify activities as:

  • Permitted where no resource consent is required provided you comply with the conditions in the rule
  • Controlled, discretionary or non-complying where you must obtain a resource consent from Greater Wellington and conditions can be included on the consent
  • Prohibited where the activity cannot be undertaken.

For feedback on this guide, contact our Environmental Policy department or email us.

Specific activities

Updated September 2, 2022 at 12:12 PM

Get in touch

0800 496 734