Under the Local Electoral Act 2001 the Council can resolve to change the electoral system; or conduct a binding poll on the question; or electors can demand a binding poll.

A poll can be initiated by at least 5% of electors signing a petition demanding that a poll be held.

Once changed, an electoral system must be used for at least the next two triennial general elections, i.e. we cannot change our electoral system for one election and then change back for the next election.

Updated August 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM

Get in touch