The Hutt River / Te Awa Kairangi
In November 2011 the Hutt River officially received a second name, Te Awa Kairangi.
Named after Sir William Hutt, an absent New Zealand Company director, the Hutt river flows south-west from the southern Tararua range through the Hutt Valley, along the Wellington fault line, to the Petone foreshore. An 8.1-magnitude earthquake in 1855 raised the level of the valley as well as the bed of the river, draining the surrounding wetlands.
The regional council has a diverse range of responsibilities concerning the river. Providing residents of the four cities (Wellington, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt and Porirua) with bulk water, protecting the Hutt Valley community from the effects of flooding, monitoring the ecological state of the river and working to improve its biodiversity, and maintaining the river to allow for a range of recreational pursuits.
The regional council supplies the 390,000 people of Lower Hutt, Porirua, Upper Hutt and Wellington with about 150 million litres of water a day — enough to fill Wellington's Westpac Stadium each week. Half comes from the Hutt River at Kaitoke, and a third from the Waiwhetu aquifer.
We ask everyone to take extra care with water use. Find water saving tips here.
Running alongside the Hutt River from Hikoikoi Reserve, Petone to Birchville, Upper Hutt, the 29km Hutt River Trail is an easy scenic walk and cycle path. It also allows access to the river for swimming, fishing and kayaking.
The Trail runs the entire length of the eastern riverbank. There are trails on all but three sections of the western side to provide shorter loops between bridges.
The Hutt River Trail will eventually run as far as the Te Marua area of Kaitoke Regional Park, to link with the Rimutaka Rail Trail.