Rule 67 Flaring of hydrocarbons
Any discharge of a contaminant to air in the coastal marine area in association with the flaring of hydrocarbons from hydrocarbon exploration which:
(1) is 1000 metres or more offshore; and
(2) is not within any estuary, inlet, harbour or embayment; and
(3) is for a period not exceeding 1000 hours of (cumulative) flaring per well; and
(4) is not located under the Wellington International Airport Height Restriction contours shown in Planning Map 7 in Appendix 7 [this can be downloaded from the documents sidebar at the right of this screen ]; and
(5) does not involve combustion of any non-hydrocarbon;
is a Permitted Activity provided it complies with the conditions specified below.
(1) The activity shall comply with the general standards listed in section 14.1.