Rule 22 Maintenance, repair, replacement, extensions, additions and alterations to structures (excluding extensions of linear rock protection and over head cables)
The maintenance, repair, replacement, extension, addition to, or alteration of any existing lawful structure or any part of an existing lawful structure (excluding extensions of linear rock protection (Rule 23) and excluding the erection, use, maintenance, alteration, replacement, or addition of over-head cables (Rule 32)) that is fixed in, on, under, or over the bed of any river or lake, including any associated:
(1) is contained within the form of the existing structure; or
(2) adds no more than whichever is the lesser of;
measured from the structure as it was on 25 January 1997 (the date the Proposed Plan was publicly notified); and
(3) disturbs sand, shingle, gravel, or other natural river or lake bed material over an area less than 2 square metres per lineal metre of structure measured along the length or breadth of the structure
is a permitted activity provided it complies with the conditions specified below.
(1) No contaminants (including but not limited to oil, petrol, diesel, paint, or solvent) shall be released to water from equipment being used for the operation, and no refuelling of equipment shall take place on any area of river or lake bed.
(2) All material removed or demolished from the structure (or any part of the structure), and any excess material from the construction operation, shall be removed from the river or lake bed and disposed of in an appropriate manner.
(3) Fish passage shall be maintained during any construction activities and all works shall be undertaken in a manner that will provide for fish passage.
(4) In any part of the river or lake bed covered by water in any water body identified in Policy 4.2.14 (Appendix 4 - Water bodies with important trout habitat (click here for a pdf Important Trout Habitat (146k)), the activity shall not take place between 31 May and 31 August.
(5) All reasonable steps shall be taken to minimise the release of sediment to water during construction.
(6) Car bodies or demolition rubble shall not be used as a structural material.
(7) Water is only diverted for the period that is necessary to carry out the works.