Report an environmental incident
Updated 28 June 2016 3:40pm
To report an environmental incident, phone the 24-hour environment hotline on 0800 496 734. Your details will remain confidential and will not be released to other parties.
What we investigate
We want to know about all environmental incidents which involve the contamination of land, water, air and the coastal marine area. We will respond to incidents only involving the following:
- Water pollution (discharges to streams, rivers, lakes, aquifers and the coastal marine area)
- Land pollution (dumping and spillage of materials which will contaminate land)
- Air pollution (dust, smells/odours, smoke from outdoor fires where hazardous materials (including plastic, treated timber and metal etc) are being burnt)
- Taking water (groundwater (boreholes), surface water and the drainage of wetlands)
- River works (channel/river mouth cutting, vegetation removal, diversions, excavations, gravel extractions, deposition and disturbance)
- Earthworks (large scale vegetation clearance, earth moving, tracking, cut and fill etc)
- Buildings and structures in rivers/stream and the coastal marine area (construction, demolition, maintenance etc)
- Noise originating from the coastal marine area (such as from boats and ships etc)
- Animals in rivers/streams and the coastal marine area (discharges, disturbance, carcases etc)
- Hazardous substances (discharges into water or land)
How we respond
We aim to respond to incidents within one hour of being notified.
Once on site, we will investigate the incident and if a resource consent is breached, or an environmental incident is found, we can take enforcement action.