Protecting our backyards
Updated 5 April 2019 4:25pm
Biosecurity Week runs from the 23 – 29 July but our work to control and manage pest plants and animals across our region continues year round. Every little difference we make, makes a huge impact on protecting our native flora and fauna.
Why is protection important?
Preserving our natural heritage and ensuring a healthy economic future depends on all of us caring for our natural resources, including rejuvenating ecosystems damaged by pest plants and pest animals.
Biosecurity Week 2018
Biosecurity Week is led by New Zealand’s Biosecurity Institute. This year’s theme is “shining the light on innovation”.
To celebrate we have a few things planned:
- Enter our Biosecurity Week facebook competition starting on 23 July:
- You can be involved by entering our Facebook competition to go into our draw for a chance of winning one of five Modified Victor Traps for your backyard and some chew cards to see what animals are in your neighbourhood.
- Find out what chew cards are and what they’re used for here. Be warned – the chew cards contain peanuts so are not suitable for those with a nut allergy.
- We are also proud to be sharing great success stories across social media, so keep an eye on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages (if you have great stories then share them as well).
- Find out about riding about on our new electric motorbikes.
- And see two of our great innovative projects that we are working on with partner organisations.
Terms and Conditions for the Biosecurity Week 2018 Facebook competition:
Five winners will be drawn at random and all winners will announced next Tuesday 31 July by 12pm. To go into the draw for a modified victor trap, a correct answer must be either posted on Facebook or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only one entry per person, per question please. The winner will be contacted either by email or facebook massager directly after entries are drawn at the start of the week beginning 30 July. Your first name and a contact email or phone number will need to be included to claim the prize. Prizes can be delivered within the Wellington region only. Entries from outside the Wellington region – or the country – won’t be eligible. All prizes will be delivered no later than 10 August. Individual entrants will not be notified unless they are the winner and the judges’ decisions are final. No additional correspondence will be entered into.