Masterton scheme FAQ
What is Warm Greater Wellington Cleaner Heating?
Warm Greater Wellington Cleaner Heating is a service offered to all ratepayers in the Masterton District to help make our region’s homes warmer and healthier.
What do I get?
As a ratepayer you can apply to the Greater Wellington Regional Council for up to $5,000 (including GST) towards the installation of a clean heat appliance.
Should I insulate first?
Yes, insulation is the recommended first step in making your house warmer and healthier.
How much will I repay?
You will repay the original amount that the Wellington Regional Council paid, plus a margin charge (about 7% per year) which is reviewed yearly and subject to change.
How do I make repayments?
The Wellington Regional Council will charge a “targeted rate” on your regular rates bill over nine years. The outstanding amount will appear on your rates bill around July each year.
How can I calculate my repayments?
The following table can help you to calculate your repayments*
|Greater Wellington Regional Council assistance||$5,000||$4,000||$3,000||$2,000|
|Approximate per annum cost/ rate (inc GST at 15%)||$794||$635||$476||$318|
|Approximate per week||$15||$12||$9||$6|
* Based on an annual charge of 7%, which is set once a year and subject to change
* Any amount owing after GWRC assistance is your responsibility
Can I get insulation and cleaner heating assistance?
Yes, up to a combined $5,000 maximum per property.
Can I pay it back early?
Yes. Amounts of $100 or more can be paid. Please contact the Wellington Regional Council for more information.
How do I know how much I have left to pay?
Please contact the Wellington Regional Council for more information.
What happens when I sell my house? Do I have to pay off the outstanding balance?
You must inform the purchaser of the Warm Greater Wellington rate. You can agree to clear it or the new owner can continue to pay it. What you both agree, must be written into the sale and purchase agreement. This is a legal requirement for any property sale, and this is required by Greater Wellington Regional Council. The rate may be notified on your property’s LIM report.
I have more than one house on my property. Can I get funding assistance for each?
Yes but only if each is on a separate rates account.
How do I apply?
1. For a list of recognised service providers, see gw.govt.nz/warmer-gw or phone 0800 496 734
2. A service provider will then assess your home for free and provide clean heating options. (You should get more than one quote)
3. The service provider will explain the funding options available to you
4. Either the service provider or the Greater Wellington Regional Council can help you complete your application form
How do I qualify?
To be eligible for this service you must:
• Be a ratepayer in the Masterton district
• Be up to date with your rate payments
• Use a Wellington Regional Council recognised service provider
How long will it take for my application to be approved?
Up to five working days after the the Wellington Regional Council receives it as long as it’s correctly completed and your rates are up to date.
Can I cancel my application if I change my mind?
Yes. You must inform the Wellington Regional Council before the installation starts.