|Title||Wonderful Water Walks : A history of water supply dams in the Wellington Region|
|Date published||1 November 2001|
|GWRC Publication No||WRC/PFSM-G-01/57|
|Abstract||Part of the Wellington Regional Council's Regional Outdoors programme
this four page leaflet gives a brief history of the Wellington Region's water
Dams have played a central role in the development of water supply in the
Wellington area. The Regional Council’s bulk supply system
encompasses three water sources and modern treatment plants, a
network of pipelines and enclosed reservoirs, to ensure the supply needs
of each city are met. Only one of the dams is now part of the regional water
supply system, the others have been retired for various reasons.
The leaflet covers:
Karori Water Supply Scheme : Wellington’s first public water supply dam
was completed in 1874. It was hailed as a long-term solution to the city’s
water problems. Just four years later however, there were severe water
shortages in the city.
Wainuiomata / Orongorongo Water Supply Scheme : In 1878 the
Wainuiomata Valley, 27 km from Wellington, was chosen and land was
purchased to secure the catchment area.
The Hutt River Scheme : The Hutt River was recommended for a water
supply in 1929, but development was delayed in favour of cheaper
artesian sources beneath the Hutt Valley. An eight metre high weir was
built on the river at Kaitoke in 1954.
The Korokoro Dam : Completed in 1903 and, as far as is known, New
Zealand’s first concrete gravity dam. The water supply from the dam was
discontinued in 1962 but the dam remains as a focal point in the Belmont
The Birchville Dam : The second arch dam built in NZ. It was made of
unreinforced concrete and was built in 1930 for water supply to Upper Hutt