Concessions and permits

Concessions and permits

Greater Wellington Regional Council’s parks and forests provide numerous opportunities for recreation, tourism, education, conservation, interpretation and filming.  To manage these different activities and their effects, the Regional Council operates a system of concessions and permits. Depending on the nature and scale of the activity, you will need to obtain either a concession or a permit.

The following information explains the function of these authorisations to help you determine whether an official authorisation is necessary for your event or activity, and offers a guide on how to apply for concessions or permits within the the Regional Council’s parks and forests.



A concession is an official authorisation for individuals or groups to carry out an activity or event within the Regional Council's parks and forests that is over and above casual use, and which may have some impacts on the park or other users. Having a concession ensures that your event or activity does not clash with other events or activities, and that it goes ahead with Greater Wellington Regional Council's support.

You will need a concession if your event or activity is commercial in nature or if it involves more than 30 participants.

Applications for concessions are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.  Should a concession be granted, it provides a:

  • legal right to carry out an activity or event on lands owned and/or managed by Greater Wellington Regional Council
  • formal relationship between the concession holder and Greater Wellington Regional Council, ensuring that both parties are aware of their obligations

Event organizers will need to apply for either a streamlined concession or a full concession based on the size and type of your event. For groups over 150, organizers will be obligated to submit additional information, such as a Health and Safety Plan. Visit the concessions page to learn more about host obligations and how to apply for an authorisation.

NOTE: Fees may be payable for commercial and non-commercial activities or events requiring a concession. See the commercial, non-commercial, and filming fee schedule pages for more details.


Ready to submit a concession application?

Make sure you have contacted the relevant Park Ranger for advice on available dates and information you will need to supply, then apply online here.



Certain activities in the parks and forests require written permission. If activities were not managed, these actions could adversely affect natural or cultural resources, or they could lead to conflicts between park users. Operating a system of permits is an effective method of managing resources and minimizing potential conflicts.

Activities that require a permit vary from park to park and can include:

  • camping,
  • hunting of introduced animals
  • trail biking 
  • firewood collection
  • research
  • collecting material

Permits are usually issued unless the area or resource is already fully booked or allocated. Visit our permits page to learn what permits each park requires, potential restrictions, and how to apply.

NOTE: Fees are payable for some activities eg camping, collecting firewood.  To find out if your activity has an associated fee, see the fee schedule here.


Find out more

For quick access to download a printable concessions and permits brochure or a fee schedule, see the list of forms available on the top right corner of this page. 

If you did not find what you were searching for on the concessions and permits main-page and sub-pages and would like to ask any further questions please contact the Events Advisor at or 021 225 7710.



Share this