Our region's iwi
In the Charter, we refer to this group as Te Tangata Whenua o te Upoko o te Ika a Maui, or simply 'the tangata whenua of the region'.
The tangata whenua iwi (tribes) are:
- Ngati Raukawa ki te Tonga
- Te Atiawa ki Whakarongotai
- Ngati Toa Rangatira
- Te Atiawa/Taranaki ki te Upoko o te Ika a Maui
- Ngati Kahungunu
These tribes are represented by the following organisations:
- Ngati Raukawa ki te Tonga are represented by Te Runanga o Raukawa Inc
- Te Atiawa ki Whakarongotai are represented by Te Runanga o Ati Awa ki Whakarongotai Inc
- Ngati Toa Rangatira are represented by Te Runanga o Toa Rangatira Inc
- Te Atiawa/ Taranaki ki te Upoko o te Ika a Maui are represented by the Wellington Tenths Trust
- (Nga Tekau o Poneke) and Te Runanganui o Taranaki Whanui ki te Upoko o te Ika a Maui Inc
- Ngati Kahungunu are represented by Ngati Kahungunu o Wairarapa Taiwhenua Inc
- Rangitaane are represented by Rangitaane o Wairarapa Inc.