Our region's iwi
In the Charter, we refer to this group as Te Tangata Whenua o te Upoko o te Ika a Maui, or simply 'the tangata whenua of the region'.
The tangata whenua iwi (tribes) are:
- Ngāti Raukawa ki te Tonga
- Te Atiawa ki Whakarongotai
- Ngāti Toa Rangatira
- Taranaki Whānui
- Ngāti Kahungunu
These tribes are represented by the following organisations:
- Ngāti Raukawa ki te Tonga are represented by Ngā Hapū o Ōtaki
- Te Atiawa ki Whakarongotai are represented by Atiawa ki Whakarongotai Charitable Trust
- Ngati Toa Rangatira are represented by Te Rūnanga o Toa Rangatira Inc
- Taranaki Whānui (formerly Te Atiawa/ Taranaki ki te Upoko o te Ika a Maui) are represented by the Port Nicholson Block Settlement Trust
- Ngāti Kahungunu are represented by Kahungunu ki Wairarapa
- Rangitaane are represented by Rangitaane o Wairarapa Inc.